Thursday, October 1, 2009

Just call me, grasshopper



Hello! My name is Kerry, and I am interning at DiverseWorks through the fall/winter. I am a student at the University of Houston- Downtown, earning my degree in Communications (and graduating this fall, FINALLY!). A few semesters ago, I took a Public Relations writing class and thought, "Hey, this could be for me!". My internship at DiverseWorks will definitely help me figure that out since I am working closely with the awesome Shawna Forney, the Public Relations & Marketing Manager for this wonderful organization.


Before I even started my internship Shawna drafted an itinerary, and I am very excited about all the things she has planned for me. I feel through my internship at DiverseWorks, I will attain a remarkable understanding of PR and how vital it is to an organization's success. In return, I hope that I prove to be a useful asset to DiverseWorks, and if I want to do that, I guess I better start by making Shawna happy and up my tweets on Twitter!!

So far, I have learned how essential it is for a non-profit such as DiverseWorks to get as much press coverage as possible, for it is key in sustaining their role within the art community, as well as their importance to the art community. I have also received a much needed tutorial in Photoshop and just recently, I overcame my fear of the paper cutter! Progress!

I am looking forward to the next few months and feel so lucky that I found an internship that will give me real hands-on experience, as well allow me to work with some really great people!

-Kerry Evans

(aka @brambleon)

No comments: